Saturday, April 23, 2011

Weight Lifting Is Actually Fun!

Today I woke up and headed to my brother's gym to be introduced to weight lifting. My brother always says that I need to do a bit of weight training and I always blow him off.

I was a little intimidated heading into the gym with him because he is a bit of a fitness freak. :) We started warming up and I was already sweating...I mean who does side planks as a warm-up.

Next I was introduced to dead lifting, the Kettle Bell, inverted push-ups, and rear foot elevated squats. This workout scared me to say the least and I wanted to say "I can't do this," numerous times but I knew my brother would never push me into an injury...so I just did what he said and he was right...I could do everything.

Introduction to Dead lifting: 60 lbs Kettle Bell 2x5
My brother kept telling me that Lily has perfect form and I should strive to look like her...she is my 2 year old niece. :) I have never used a Kettle Bell but I did like it and I think I will try and integrate it into my workout's more often.

My training inspiration!

Second exercise - Dead lifting with a barbell 3x5 reps (75 lbs)
I didn't think I could life this weight but I was so excited when I did. The most important part for me is feeling comfortable and sustaining good form. My brother had to repeat the steps to the lift everytime! He loved every minute I am sure. Note: Remember hamstrings, butt and core activations are key.

Third exercise - Elevated Push-ups
I did 1 set on the bench but my brother said they were to easy for me, so he put me on the floor using some sort of handle thingy...and I did 2x10 or until I lost perfect form ( I lost perfect form around 6 each set).

Fourth exercise - Rear elevated foot squats
I did 1x6 on each leg without any weight and then progressed to holding a 15 lbs Kettle Ball. Key to this exercise is perfect form (stay tall, tighten stomach and keep weight on front heel). I think this was my favorite exercise!

Fifth Exercise - TRX Body Rows
I did 2x6 and kind of liked it. Think doing a push-up upside down...sounds weird but is so much better than push-ups or pull-ups. :) 

After I finished the exercises above I hit the treadmill for about 15 minutes at level 4.0. This was an awesome workout and I really want to do it again before I head home. :)

Feeling super buff after my workout!

After my amazing workout we headed home to have some breakfast. On today's menu was a blueberry/banana protein shake with almond milk paired with a sandwich thin with peanut butter and bananas. :)

Very filling breakfast!

The rest of the day was full of playing with Lily and relaxing. I just love being a full-time Auntie!! Before we headed to Easter dinner I made myself a delicious leftover snack. I used a 1/2 cup of quinoa, slice of buffalo mozzarella, 5 grape tomatoes, 2 leaves of fresh basil and a drizzle of balsamic dressing. This is to die for...thanks  Kel!

Awesome idea for lunch!

Time to get ready to raid Kelly's closet for Easter dinner. This is the life!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment