Monday, June 13, 2011

Holy Blueberry Muffin Heaven

Wow...I have been the laziest blogger ever. Who knew being unemployed could be so busy, I have been running around with my head cut-off for the past two weeks. Today I was finally able to relax and actually do a couple of things that make me smile and happy.

I have still been waking up super early...5am. This is actually a good thing because I am able to check my email, apply for some positions, make a healthy breakfast and get my exercise done early.  Today's breakfast of choice was leftover oatmeal topped with delicious fresh fruit. I love that summer is right around the corner because fruit is my favorite breakfast/snack/dessert!


After breakfast was a killer BOSU Ball Full Body Workout. Everytime I do this workout it leaves my arms and legs feeling like jelly and my core burning. I guess this isn't the best way to promote a workout but in all honesty it's a wonderful full body workout that gets results. :)

I did pound a boring protein shake when I got home..no need for a picture or description. After getting myself ready I got bit by the baking bug. I bought a crate of fresh blueberries and really want to make something delicious. So I decided to look through my Cooking Light Cookbook and I found the perfect recipe BLUEBERRY POWER MUFFINS WITH ALMOND STREUSEL. Reading this recipe made my heart happy...123 calories for one muffin. :) Check out the recipe below:

  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided

  • 1 cup whole wheat flour

  • 1 cup quick-cooking oats

  • 1 cup granulated sugar

  • 1 tablespoon baking powder

  • 1 teaspoon baking soda

  • 1/4 teaspoon salt

  • 2 cups vanilla low-fat yogurt

  • 1/2 cup 2% reduced-fat milk

  • 3 tablespoons canola oil

  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract

  • 1 large egg

  • 1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries

  • Cooking spray


  • Streusel:
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour

  • 1/4 cup slivered almonds, chopped

  • 1 tablespoon brown sugar

  • 1 tablespoon butter, melted


  • 1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees
    2) Mix dry ingredients together
    3) Mix wet ingredients together
    4) Combine wet ingredients with dry ingredients
    5) Fold in blueberries
    6) Top with streusel and bake muffins for 15 minutes

    This recipe is super easy and believe me these muffins are MUF-I-LICOUS! Best muffins I have ever baked.

    Pretty much the perfect MUFFIN!

    So satisfying..a blueberry muffin without feeling guilty!

    I was still on my baking high when it was time to hit up the Melting Pot for happy hour with Mary. Check out my previous review of The Melting Pot Happy Hour. I love the fact that I can get fondue and a drink for $10! I mean that is pretty fantastic...and if you go with friends you can get out of there by paying less than $10 (without tip)...if you order beer! $3.00 pints are a MUST.

    Today I smiled a lot because I was not only productive but I also made time to do things that make me happy such as baking, working out, socializing with besties and happy hour. Life is good even without a job!! :)

    2 comments:

    1. I'm tired just reading about all your workouts. You must be the fittest girl I know! Solid muscle!

      ReplyDelete
    2. Will you fedex me some muffins in Alaska please?
      Sad to have missed Melting Pot hh w/ you girls!

      ReplyDelete