Monday, June 27, 2011

Seattle Rock & Roll Half Marathon Mission Completed

I woke up ready to run the Rock & Roll Seattle Half marathon. I didn’t do a training program for this race so the only goals I had were to  run it with friends and without headphones.
Breakfast of Champions!

I had a bowl of oatmeal topped with fresh berries and almond milk and it really hit the spot. As we neared the race the traffic was ridiculous…but we got there eventually. I decided to run with my beau’s brother and his wife because I have never ran with anyone before. I always do it alone….now I know what I have been missing. It is so much better to run with friends! Elise showed me the real fun in running races and that is hooting, hollering and high fiving everyone. It was seriously so much fun and it made the 13.1 miles fly by.
Look at that cute face.

Race recap…I hate miles 0-2 because they are the hardest for me. But by mile 5 I was good because that mile was all downhill, and the best of the entire face. By the time we hit mile 10 we could see the finish line but we had to circle around and hit the streets of Seattle. Once we hit Seattle our pace skyrocketed because of the crowd’s energy, high fiving people was just what I needed at mile 11-12! At the finish line I smiled and couldn’t believe I had done my personal best…2:06:03. (all pictures are from http://www.asiorders.com/view_event.asp?EVENTID=75633.)
Running with friends is the way to go!

Running with friends and without headphones makes the race so much better. You can hear, feel and smile your way through the race because you aren’t alone. You are part of something special…not everyone loves running but everyone can appreciate all the effort that goes into these events.
I had the best time at this race and am eager to start training for my next one in October…the Nike Women’s Half Marathon in San Fran. I can only imagine how hard it is going to be…but I know I will not be wearing headphones and I will make some friends. J
They are so pretty...glittery.

BTW the medals at the finish line were heavy…and really sweet. I was pretty sure but loved the feeling of accomplishment that I had after running that race.
PS The bands were not that good…only one upbeat song the entire race…booo!

No comments:

Post a Comment