Tuesday, June 28, 2011

FINALLY Tasty Homemade Thai Food

After my 3 mile run today I came home and housed a delicious Graveyard Smoothie. The Graveyard Smoothie contains a unique mixture of fruits and veggies. It had frozen bananas and blueberries, a handful of spinach, almond milk and some fresh strawberries and blueberries. It tasted pretty good and stuffed my belly.


After a quick shower...I challenged myself to make homemade Thai food one more time. I think I have made one edible Thai recipe and it was a Thai Chicken Salad with Peanut Dressing. And I don't really count it as being homemade because I didn't make the chicken and really how can you mess up peanut dressing. :) So my mission was to make a Tasty Thai dish. On tonight's menu was Cilantro Chicken with Peanuts. I got this recipe from an old cookbook called "Easy Dinner and Healthy Recipes."

This recipe was fairly easy to make and prep but I decided I wanted brown rice so I had to wait 45 minutes. Why does brown rice take so long? :) While I was cooking the rice I prepped the chicken, made the sauce, measured the chiles and peanuts. Below is the recipe:

2 teaspoons roasted peanut oil (I used regular EVOO)
1 pound of chicken breasts - cut into 1 inch pieces
1 ounce honey-roasted peanuts
1-2 dried red chiles (use more if you like it super spicy)
1 tablespoon of soy sauce
2 teaspoons rice vinegar
1 teaspoon toasted seasame oil (I used regular seasame oil)
1 1/2 cups of cilantro
Cabbage Slaw (I used broccoli slaw)
Brown Rice
Lime slices and cilantro for garnish

1) Heat peanut oil over high heat. Cook and stir chicken in skillet for 2 minutes and then add peanuts and chiles. Cook and stir for 3 minutes or until the chicken is no longer pink.

2) Add soy sauce, rice vinegar and seasame oil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in cilantro leaves.

3) Spoon over cabbage or rice. (In my case both)

I have to tell you that this recipe was full of spice and flavor. I finally did it...a tasty homemade Thai dish. :) I loved the variety of flavors especially the sweetness of the peanuts and the kick of the red chiles. This dish was amazing and I felt so good about myself. I finally completed my mission of homemade Thai food. Take a peak at my masterpiece:

So delish!
I paired my dinner with a refreshing Arnold Palmer because I have been craving ice tea and lemonade in this heat wave Seattle is having. By heat wave I mean 70-75 degrees. :)

I had the perfect dinner! I think I am now going to take a break from trying to cook Thai food because I finally succeeded. Does anyone have any great homemade Thai food recipe to share??

1 comment:

  1. Does anyone have any homemade Thai recipes to share...well duh, me! I lived in Thailand you know. What do you say we make some when I leave this hell hole of a job in Alaska! Is it September yet?!?!?!

    ReplyDelete